As a food illustrator, I grew up in a Caribbean kitchen. This means: I love to eat good food – slow food in particular.
Therefore, I simply couldn’t resist the opportunity to sharpen my food illustration skills in celebration of National Empanada day.
I was inspired to create an empanada illustration and to include the recipe to make it. Although, I haven’t baked these since childhood, I still remembered enough of the steps (I think) to cobble together this 1-2-3 recipe.
I looked for inspiration online to fill in the blanks. While I added my own spin on things, this recipe is pretty much based on what my own taste buds tell me works.
As far as the art is concerned, for this new food illustration, I aimed to blend a mixture of graphic art and realistic art.
This resulted in a stylized, graphic illustration that feels painterly but still easily readable at a distance -for a giant poster that is!
Methinks using ink with watercolor and wet wash watercolor techniques was the right decision. Both methods gave this piece an ethereal feel that’s fun and atmospheric.
Now… for some odd reason, I see lots of empanadas, mysteriously, finding their way into the breakfast sections of my weekly meal planner for weeks to come.
Well, as long as I can figure how to store the dough in the freezer.
If this atmospheric watercolor empanada recipe illustration seems like something you’d want to do for your own projects (marketing, book, editorial, stationery etc.), simply submit a request in my contact form with what you have in mind.
Empanada Recipe Illustration
Dough Recipes :
- Empanada Dough Recipe by the Spruce Eats
- Jamaican Pattie Dough Recipe by the Spruce Eats
Meat Substitution To Try:
- Ground chicken
- Italian sausage
- Polish kielbasa
- Ground or smoked turkey
Veggie Substitutions To Try:
- Potatoes + Garlic Leeks
Ready-made (but home-made) Empanada Meal Kits:
No time to make homemade empanadas? Roaming online yielded these goodies I dream to try someday soon:
- The Red Store Empanadas by At Home Meal Experience
- Argentine Empanadas by Take Out Kit
- Empanada Cups with mozzarella and jalapeño by Home Chef
Slow Foodie Bookworm Delights
- Empanadas: The Hand-Held Pies of Latin America
- Empanada Cookbook: Delicious Empanada Recipes that Everyone Will Love in an Easy Empanada Cookbook (2nd Edition)
Want to see more food illustrations? Explore them here.
- To see what original art and art prints have been released and are already available for sale visit the art shop at United Wanderlust.
- Want to see more watercolor travel illustrations, botanical art or food illustrations? Explore them here.
- If you’d like me to commission a new art piece or license existing art for your own projects (marketing, book, editorial, stationery etc.), simply submit a request in my Illustration studio contact form with what you have in mind and we can go from there.